The first time I saw someone make this cake it was like watching a magic trick. Whole oranges into boiling water, “what the …” we were about to defy the laws of nature, or at least common sense. This was then followed by the anticipation of having no idea where this was going to go to next. Then the final result is a cross between a cake and a pudding, a cake recipe so crazy it works. Needless to say, despite not being a real bakery type, I have made this a number of times, so far no complaints.
- 2 Oranges
- 220g Sugar (7.5 oz)
- 300g ground almond meal (10.5 oz)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp orange blossom water
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Put 2 large whole oranges into boiling water and simmer for 1 hour.
- Roughly chop up the oranges removing only the seeds.
- Puree the oranges to a smooth consistency
- Mix the eggs and add the sugar then whisk until thick and sugar has dissolved
- Fold in the ground almond, orange blossom water and baking powder until mixed.
- Place the mixture into a greased baking pan and bake on 160°C (320 °F) for about 1 hour
- Ice with favourite topping.
The star of the show – Organic oranges
Here are some other great versions of the Orange Cake recipe: